Article No. : 35344383
Writer : Graduate School
|Korean Government Scholarship Program for Graduate Students||14.02.12||5891|
|Attached file: 2014_KGSP_Graduate_HUFS.doc 2014_KGSP Applicable Major at HUFS.xls 2014_KGSP_Application Form_HUFS.doc|
Korean Government Scholarship Program for Graduate Students
(Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
1. Program Objective
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students in order to promote international exchange in education and mutual friendship between the participating countries.
2. Total number of Applicants for our Nomination: 20 persons
*In case of applying through Korean Embassy in your country, a different nationality requirement is applied. Please visit http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr or contact the nearest Korean Embassy for further details.
3. Applicable fields for our university
o Applicable fields and majors (Refer to the attachment)
Note: KGSP students are not allow to apply for HUFS-UPEACE Dual Master’s Program
* Graduate School (Medium of Instruction: Korean): http://www.hufs.ac.kr/gra
* Graduate School of International and Area Studies (Medium of Instruction: English or Regional Languages)
o Available course : Master’s Program, Doctoral Program.
Note: Combined Masters & Doctoral Program is not available at HUFS
4. Advantages for studying at HUFS :
HUFS provides additional scholarship to KGSP students who obtain high grades in their degree program:
KRW 200,000 per month during semester: students who obtain GPA 3.0 or above in the previous semester
KRW 1,000,000: students who obtain GPA 4.3 or above in a semester
5. Main Notes for the 2014 Selection
o Applicants have to apply for this program via either an embassy or a designated university. Overseas
Korean adoptees have to apply only via an embassy if their countries are allotted the adoptee quotas.
o The selection process for applicants will proceed in three steps.
Firstly, applicants must be selected by the institution he or she is applying through
(a Korean embassy, or a designated university).
Secondly, applicants who passed the first round must be selected by the NIIED Selection Committee.
Finally, applicants who passed the second round must gain admission from a university.
o Institutions accepting applications: 117 overseas Korean embassies or 60 designated Korean universities.
* Applicants who submit applications to more than one of the aforementioned institutions will be disqualified immediately.
o Selection Procedure
- 1st Selection: Each 1st selection institution will draft a selections standard based on the criteria provisioned by NIIED, and recommend the best applicants according to its respective standards.
- 2nd Selection: The NIIED Selection Committee will select the most successful candidates from the pool of applicants recommended by the 1st selection institutions.
- 3rdSelection: Only the candidates who were recommended by a Korean embassy and passed the 2nd
selection successfully will be evaluated for admission by the 3 universities to which they applied; each
candidate has to gain admission from at least oneuniversity.
* Applicants who were recommended by a designated university will automatically be granted admission to the university that recommended them, upon the condition they are selected as a successful candidate in the 2nd Selection. Subsequently, once they pass the mandatory medical examination (when it’s orientation), they willjoin the ranks of the final successful candidates.
6. Duration of Scholarship
o Master’s (01.09.2014 ~ 31.08.2017) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of Master’s
o Doctoral (01.09.2014 ~ 31.08.2018): 1yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of Doctoral
* (Important) After the Korean language course, the scholarship period of degree course (2 years of master’s or 3 years of doctoral) cannot be extended beyond the designated duration.
* In the case that a scholarpossesses a TOPIK Level that is higher than 5, he or she is exempted from the Korean language course; the exempted period will be deducted from the total scholarship period (2years for master’s or 3 years for doctoral).
* In the case that a scholarpossesses aTOPIK Level 5 or 6, he or shemust be exempted from the Korean language course and must start his/her academic course of Master or Doctoral degree; the exempted period will be deducted from the total scholarship period (2 years for master’s or 3 years for doctoral).
7. Korean Language Course
o All scholars, unless exempted,must take one year of Korean language course in the designated
language institution by NIIED. Once scholars are designated at the institution, it cannot be changed.
o During Korean language learning, scholars are supposed to stay at the dorm of language institution with a roommate, thus cannot bring their family.
o Exemption from the Korean language course requirement: Korean proficiency at TOPIK Level 5 or 6
* Scholars who have surpassed TOPIK Level 5 or 6 must start their degree course without the Korean language course.
* Scholars who are exempted from taking the Korean language course must take their degree course starting from September 1st, 2014.
o Only the scholars who will have passed at leastLevel 3 of TOPIK (the Test of Proficiency in Korean)
after one year of Korean language course are permitted to start their master’s or doctoral program.
o Scholars who do not pass at least TOPIK Level 3 after one year of Korean language course must complete
an additional six-month coursework in the Korean language.
o Language Institution : NIIED has designated about 12 language institutions for the Korean language course.
* The main language institution placement principle is different area from the finally chosen university of scholars in order to provide a chance of exploring variable Korean cultures and immerge on Korean language learning with professional environments for scholars.
8. Application Requirements
o The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program.
o Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for an extended period of time.
* Applicants must submit the Personal Medical Assessment (included in the application form) when he/she apply for this program, and when it’s orientation, an Official Medical Examination will be done by NIIED. A serious illness (For example, HIV, Drug, etc) will be the main cause of disqualification from the scholarship.
※ The handicapped who satisfy the above are also eligible for the program
※ NOT Eligible: those who are pregnant (disqualified upon discovery)
o Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2014 (born after Sep. 1st, 1974).
o Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of August 31st, 2014.
* (Important) Applicants who have ever enrolled in a university in Korea will be disqualified from applying to the KGSP program. Specifically, an applicant who has previously enrolled in an undergraduate program, a master’s program, a doctoral program including an exchange program (D-2 visa holders ever) in Korea cannot apply for this program.
Exception 1. Applicant who has experienced an exchange program in Korea only for previous academic courses graduation, and if it was mandatory for his or her graduation of degree program; thus could submit official explanation from the attended institution can apply for this KGSP program.
Exception 2. The KGSP scholar who has graduated or will graduate from a Korean university as of August 31st, 2014 can apply for this program again only via the embassy if only he/she holds at least TOPIK Level 4 and obtain another recommendation within the allotment from the Korean Embassy of his/her respective country of origin (re-application is limited to one instance).
* Applicants who apply for the Master’s program must hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Bachelor’s degree.
* Applicants who apply for the Doctoral program must hold a Master’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Master’s degree.
* Applicants who are expecting to obtain the relevant required degree or diploma by August 31st, 2014 must submit a certificate of degree or diploma expectation, and submit the official certificate of degree or diploma to NIIED by August 31st, 2014. (If not, disqualified for this program)
o Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution.
* If an applicant does not satisfy the above GPA criteria, he/she will be disqualified from applying to this program.
* If the transcript is not indicated in grades/marks/scores format, or is difficult to convert into percentages, attachment of official explanation from the attended institution is required.
o Applicants who have Korean proficiency or English proficiency may be given preference.
o Applicants who apply for natural science and technology program may be given preference.
o Applicants who are university professors currently in the developing countries may be given preference.
o Scholarship Period : same as the period of invitation.
-Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket.
* Airfare for entry will not be provided to scholars who already currently live in Korea for academic study or employment.
* The fees for domestic travel within a scholar’s home country and for travel insurance to and from Korea will not be provided.
* Scholars from China and the Czech Republic will not be provided airfare by NIIED, but by their country of origin according to the mutual agreements.
-Monthly Allowance : 900,000 won (KRW) per month.
-Research Allowance : 210,000 won for scholars in the humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences, per semester.
-Relocation (Settlement) Allowance : 200,000 won upon arrival (only for scholars from their own country, not for scholars who already currently live in Korea)
-Language Training Fee : Full coverage
-Tuitions : All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition is paid by NIIED.
-Dissertation Printing Costs : 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on the actual costs.
-Medical Insurance : 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage).
-Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month (commencing from the degree program)
- NIIED does not compensate fees for the domestic travel, moving expenses, deposit, etc. both in the grantee’s country and Korea.
- Airfare for entry into Korea will not be provided to a scholar that has been staying and living in Korea for his or her study, work, etc. as of the date of announcement of successful candidates
- NIIED does not compensate fees for insurance for traveling to and from Korea.
- The medical fee is to be reimbursed through the insurance company to the scholar after s/he pays first.
However, the expense for dental clinic or chronic disease will not be covered.
- Any scholar who gives up his/her study during the scholarship period will not receive airfare and
allowance for repatriation.
- Any scholar that quits the program within 3 months after s/he entering Korea, must refund all scholarship fees.
(The airfare of arriving Korea, settlement allowance, monthly stipend, Korean language training expenses, etc.).
o HUFS Scholarship
- KRW 200,000 per month(excl. vacation period): All new KGSP students and current KGSP students obtaining GPA 3.0 or above
- KRW 1,000,000: KGSP students who obtain GPA 4.3 or above (cumulative)
10. Selection Procedure Details
o The guideline, application form, and university information will be available at the website of GKS (www.studyinkorea.go.kr), Korean Embassies, and designated domestic universities.
o For applicants (including Korean adoptees) who apply for KGSP via Korean Embassies
- (1st Selection) Korean Embassies make its own selection schedule and plan based on the criteria provided by
NIIED, and accept the applications. They select 1.5 times as many candidates as their quota from the pool of
applicants and recommend them to NIIED.
* Applicants from China and the Czech Republic should submit their applications to the Ministry of
Education (or equivalent institution) in their respectivecountry of origin, in accordance with the
mutual agreements between Korea and those countries.
* Only Korean adoptees who have foreign citizenship can apply for this program via a Korean Embassy if their countries of origin areallotted the adoptee quota. They are selected through a separate procedure; generalapplicants cannot be accepted through this application category.
- (2ndSelection) NIIED Selection Committee selects as many successful candidates as each embassy quota amongst the pool of candidates recommended by the Embassies.
- (3rdSelection) NIIED submits the documents of successful candidates to their 3 universities of indicated
preference, and requests admission examination of the candidates into their master’s or doctoral programs.
The universities have to notify the result of examination to the candidates and NIIED by the designated date.
The candidates who gain admission from more than one university will have to make a final selection, and
notify their respective local Korean Embassy and NIIED by the designated date. Only the candidates who
gain admission within the 3rd Selection period can be accepted as official KGSP scholars.
o For applicants who apply for KGSP via designated domestic universities
- (1st Selection) Each designated university will draft its own selection schedule and plan based on the criteria
provided by NIIED, and accepts the applications. Each designated university will select up to 20 candidates
from all ofthe quota-assigned countries and recommend them to NIIED. They cannot recommend more than
3 candidates from a single country.
- (2nd Selection) NIIED Selection Committee selects as many successful candidates as each country’s quota
from allof the candidates recommended by the universities. The candidates who are selected in the NIIED
Selection Committee will be accepted to the university which recommended them, and willbe finally
accepted as official KGSP scholars upon a successful comprehensive medical examination.
11. Selection Criterion
o All documents including transcript, self-introduction, study plan, certificates of language proficiency (Korean and English), recommendations, published papers and awards, etc., will be evaluated.
12. Required Documentation
o Place of submission
Mr. Heesung Park
Administrative Office of Graduate Schools
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
107, Imun-ro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea, 130-791
Tel: 82-2-2173-2387 / Fax: 82-2-2173-3369
Note: All application documents should be presented in their original format, and submission by email attachment is NOT allowed.
o Deadline of Submission : March 21st, 2014
* Candidates whose paperwork is not submitted on time will be excluded from the Selection Committee.
o Required documents : One original document (placed in a separate envelope) and 3 extra copies.
* Documents not in English or Korean must be accompanied by a complete English or Korean translation
authenticated by the issuing institution or notarized by a notary’s office.
* Selection for successful candidates will be done strictly by the NIIED Selection Committee.
Therefore, appropriate documents should be submitted by the deadline.
- Dual applications are not accepted. Applicants must apply for this program via only one institution.
- Documents should be presented in their original form.
- Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants regardless of the selection results.
- Incomplete or incorrect documents may lead to application rejection or failure in the Selection Committee,
and scholarship revocation even after entry into Korea.
- In case of submitting photocopied documents, applicants must submit the original to the 1st Selection Institution and have the original one and the photocopied one collated. The confirmation of collation should be indicated in the photocopied documents.
- Applicants who are expected to graduate from their respective home undergraduate/graduate institutions
by August 31st, 2014, must submit the certificate (or letter) of expected graduation issued by said institutions when they apply; the official certificate of graduation must be received by NIIED by August 31st, 2014.
- Applicants must accurately completethe health checklist truthfully. All successful candidates must take
a comprehensive medical exam when its’ orientation. In accordance with the requirements of the Korea
Immigration Service and the KGSP Program, the candidates who are judged to be physically unfit for this
program will not be accepted.
- Applicants may submit the copies of published papers, if available.
- Applicants may submit the copies of awards, if available.
* Applicants must submit all the documents by the checklist order. (Checklist for the application documents should be on the front page, followed by the required documents, stapled and attached.)
* Transferring to a different university after confirming the host university is not permitted in any cases. In regards to changing majors, it would be permitted only under the mutual agreement of the departments concerned only withinthe same university, with the scholarship period unchanged. (2 years of Master’s, or 3 years of doctoral, in total). However, quitting a program and applying for a new one is not permitted.
13. Selection Schedule
o Application Deadline : March. 21st (HUFS)
o The 1st Selection : The end of March (by HUFS)
o The 2nd Selection : Mid to End-April (NIIED Selection Committee)
o Announcement for the Results of the 2nd Selection : May 1st (posted on GKS websites)
o Admission Procedures for the Korean Embassies’ candidates: May 2n~May 30th
o Announcement for Final Successful Candidates : June 17th (GKS websites-www.studyinkorea.go.kr)
o Visa Issue and Air ticket purchase : June 18th ~ July 31st
o Entry into Korea : August 25th~ August 27th
o NIIED Orientation : August 28th ~ August 29th
o Korean Language Course : September 1st
14. For further information, please contact :
o Contact & Mailing Information for HUFS
Mr. Heesung Park (Main Coordinator for KGS Program)
Administrative Office of Graduate Schools
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
107, Imun-ro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea, 130-791
Tel: 82-2-2173-2387 / Fax: 82-2-2173-3369
o KGSP Team, National Institute for International Education (NIIED)
- Address: #205 NIIED, 81 Ewhajang-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-810, Republic of Korea
‣ Korean version: 정부초청외국인장학생 → 공지사항
‣ English version: Korean Government Scholarship Program → Notice
- Phone: +82-2-3668-1364, +82-2-3668-1389
- Fax: +82-2-743-4992
- Email: email@example.com
15. Other useful websites
ㅇ Higher Education in Korea http://heik.academyinfo.go.kr
ㅇ Learning Korean http://www.kosnet.go.kr
ㅇUnderstanding of Korean culture http://korea.net
ㅇ Overseas Korean embassies http://www.mofa.go.kr
ㅇ Visa and Registration http://immigration.go.kr
16. Application Form : Please refer to the attachment.
|Next post||2014 Fall International Undergraduate Admissions|
|Previous post||[GSIAS] HUFS-UPEACE Dual Master's Program Admission|