Article No. : 69883408
Writer : Graduate School
|2016 Korean Government Scholarship Program for Graduate Students||16.02.03||12623|
|Attached file: Applicable+Major+List+2016.pdf 2016+KGSP+Graduate+HUFS.doc 2016+KGSP-G+Application+Forms.docx GPA+Conversion+Table.pdf|
2016 Korean Government Scholarship Program for Graduate Students
(Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
!?xml:namespace prefix="o" ns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
1. Program Objective
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students in order to promote international exchange in education and mutual friendship between the participating countries.
2. Total number of Applicants for our Nomination
Degree Program : 20 persons
*In case of applying through Korean Embassy in your country, a different nationality requirement is applied. Please visit http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr or contact the nearest Korean Embassy for further details.
3. Applicable fields for our university
o Applicable fields and majors (Refer to the attachment)
Note 1 : KGSP students are not allow to apply for HUFS-UPEACE Dual Master’s Program
Note 2 : Graduate School of Interpretation and Translation is not applicable through KGSP.
* Graduate School (Medium of Instruction: Korean): http://www.hufs.ac.kr/gra
* Graduate School of International and Area Studies (Medium of Instruction: English or Regional Languages) http://gsias.hufs.ac.kr
o Available course : Master’s Program, Doctoral Program.
Note: Combined Masters & Doctoral Program is not available at HUFS
4. Advantages for studying at HUFS :
HUFS provides additional scholarship to KGSP students who obtain high grades in their degree program:
KRW 200,000 per month during semester: students who obtain GPA 3.0 or above in the previous semester
KRW 1,000,000: students who obtain GPA 4.3 or above in a semester
5. Main Notes for the 2016 Selection
o Applicants have to apply for this program via either an embassy or a designated university. Overseas Korean adoptees have to apply only via an embassy if their countries are allotted the adoptee quotas.
o The selection process for applicants will proceed in three steps.
Firstly, applicants must be selected by the institution he or she is applying through (a Korean embassy, or a designated university).
Secondly, applicants who passed the first round must be selected by the NIIED Selection Committee.
Finally, applicants who passed the second round must gain admission from a university.
o Institutions accepting applications: 117 overseas Korean embassies or 66 designated Korean universities.
* Applicants who submit applications to more than one of the aforementioned institutions will be disqualified immediately.
o Selection Procedure
- 1st Selection: Each 1st selection institution will draft a selections standard based on the criteria provisioned by NIIED, and recommend the best applicants according to its respective standards.
- 2nd Selection: The NIIED Selection Committee will select the most successful candidates from the pool of applicants recommended by the 1st selection institutions.
- 3rdSelection: Only the candidates who were recommended by a Korean embassy and passed the 2nd selection successfully will be evaluated for admission by the 3 universities to which they applied; each candidate has to gain admission from at least oneuniversity.
* Applicants who were recommended by a designated university will automatically be granted admission to the university that recommended them, upon the condition they are selected as a successful candidate in the 2nd Selection. Subsequently, once they pass the mandatory medical examination, they will join the ranks of the final successful candidates.
6. Duration of Scholarship
o Master’s (Sep.01.2016 ~ Aug.31.2019) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of Master’s
o Doctoral (Sep.01.2016 ~ Aug.31.2020) : 1yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of Doctoral
* (Important) The scholarship period of degree course (2 years of master’s or 3 years of doctoral) cannot be extended beyond the designated duration.
* In the case that a scholar possesses a TOPIK Level 5 or 6, he or she must be exempted from the Korean language course and must start his/her academic course of Master or Doctoral degree; the exempted period(1 year of language course) will be deducted from the total scholarship period.
7. Korean Language Course
o All scholars, unless exempted, must take one year of Korean language course in the designated language institution by NIIED. Once scholars are designated at the institution, it cannot be changed.
o During Korean language learning, scholars should stay at the dorm of language institution with a roommate, thus cannot bring their family.
o Exemption from the Korean language course requirement: Korean proficiency at TOPIK Level 5 or 6 (with certification).
* Scholars who have surpassed TOPIK Level 5 or 6 must start their degree course without the Korean language course.
* Scholars who are exempted from taking the Korean language course must take their degree course starting from Sep. 1st, 2016.
o Only the scholars who will have passed at least Level 3 of TOPIK (the Test of Proficiency in Korean) after one year of Korean language course are permitted to start their master’s or doctoral program.
* Scholars who do not pass at least TOPIK Level 3 after one year of Korean language cannot start their academic course.
o Language Institution : NIIED has designated about 10 language institutions for the Korean language course.
* The main language institution placement principle is different area from the finally chosen university of scholars in order to provide a chance of exploring variable Korean cultures and immerge on Korean language learning with professional environments for scholars.
8. Application Requirements
o The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who are now holding Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program.
o Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for an extended period of time.
* Applicants must submit the Personal Medical Assessment (included in the application form) when he/she apply for this program, and when it’s orientation, an Official Medical Examination will be done by NIIED. A serious illness (For example, HIV, Drug, etc) will be the main cause of disqualification from the scholarship.
※ The handicapped who satisfy the above are also eligible for the program
※ NOT Eligible: those who are pregnant (disqualified upon discovery)
o Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2016 (born after Sep. 1st, 1976).
o Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of August 31st, 2016.
* (Important) Applicants who have graduated from an university or graduate school in Korea will be disqualified from applying to the KGSP program. However, an applicant who has previously enrolled in an exchange program in Korea can apply for this program.
* The KGSP scholar who has graduated or will graduate from a Korean university as of August 31st, 2016 can apply for this program again only via the embassy (re-application is limited to one instance).
* Applicants who apply for the Master’s program must hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Bachelor’s degree.
* Applicants who apply for the Doctoral program must hold a Master’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than a Master’s degree.
* Applicants who are expecting to obtain the relevant required degree or diploma by August 31st, 2016 must submit a certificate of degree or diploma expectation, and submit the official certificate of degree or diploma to NIIED by August 31st, 2016. (If not, disqualified for this program)
o Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution.
* If an applicant does not satisfy the above GPA criteria, he/she will be disqualified from applying to this program.
* If the transcript is not indicated in grades/marks/scores format, or is difficult to convert into percentages, attachment of official explanation from the attended institution is required.
o Applicants who have Korean proficiency or English proficiency may be given preference.
o Applicants who apply for natural science and technology program may be given preference.
o Applicants who are university professors currently in the developing countries may be given preference.
o Scholarship Period : same as the period of invitation.
-Airfare: Round-trip economy class ticket.
* Airfare for entry will not be provided to scholars who have ever lived in Korea as of the date of application.
* The fees for domestic travel within a scholar’s home country and for travel insurance to and from Korea will not be provided.
* Scholars from China and the Czech Republic will not be provided airfare by NIIED, but by their country of origin according to the mutual agreements.
-Monthly Allowance : 900,000 won (KRW) per month.
-Research Allowance : 210,000 won for scholars in the humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences, per semester.
-Relocation (Settlement) Allowance : 200,000 won upon arrival (only for scholars from their own country, not for scholars who already currently live in Korea)
-Language Training Fee : Full coverage
-Tuitions : All admission fees are waived by the host institution (university). The tuition is paid by NIIED.
-Thesis Printing Costs : 500,000 ~ 800,000 won, depending on the actual costs.
-Medical Insurance : 20,000 won per month will be provided (limited coverage).
-Special funding for scholars who are proficient in the Korean language (TOPIK Level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month (commencing from the degree program)
o HUFS Scholarship
- KRW 200,000 per month(excl. vacation period): All new KGSP students and current KGSP students obtaining GPA 3.0 or above
- KRW 1,000,000: KGSP students who obtain GPA 4.3 or above (cumulative)
10. Selection Procedure Details
o The guideline, application form, and university information will be available at the website of GKS (www.studyinkorea.go.kr), Korean Embassies, and designated domestic universities.
o For applicants (including Korean adoptees) who apply for KGSP via Korean Embassies
- (1st Selection) Korean Embassies make its own selection schedule and plan based on the criteria provided by NIIED, and accept the applications. They select 1.5 times as many candidates as their quota from the pool of applicants and recommend them to NIIED.
* Applicants from China and the Czech Republic should submit their applications to the Ministry of Education (or equivalent institution) in their respective country of origin, in accordance with the mutual agreements between Korea and those countries.
* Only Korean adoptees who have foreign citizenship can apply for this program via a Korean Embassy if their countries of origin are allotted the adoptee quota. They are selected through a separate procedure; general applicants cannot be accepted through this application category.
- (2ndSelection) NIIED Selection Committee selects as many successful candidates as each embassy quota amongst the pool of candidates recommended by the Embassies.
- (3rdSelection) NIIED submits the documents of successful candidates to their 3 universities of indicated preference, and requests admission examination of the candidates into their master’s or doctoral programs. The universities have to notify the result of examination to the candidates and NIIED by the designated date. The candidates who gain admission from more than one university will have to make a final selection, and notify their respective local Korean Embassy and NIIED by the designated date. Only the candidates who gain admission within the 3rd Selection period can be accepted as official KGSP scholars.
o For applicants who apply for KGSP via designated domestic universities
- (1st Selection) Each designated university will draft its own selection schedule and plan based on the criteria provided by NIIED, and accepts the applications. Each designated university will select up to 20 candidates from all of the quota-assigned countries and recommend them to NIIED. They cannot recommend more than 3 candidates from a single country.
- (2nd Selection) NIIED Selection Committee selects as many successful candidates as each country’s quota from all of the candidates recommended by the universities. The candidates who are selected in the NIIED Selection Committee will be accepted to the university which recommended them, and will be finally accepted as official KGSP scholars upon a successful comprehensive medical examination.
11. Selection Criterion
o All documents including transcript, self-introduction, study plan, certificates of language proficiency (Korean and English), recommendations, published papers and awards, etc., will be evaluated.
12. Required Documentation
o Place of submission
Mr. Jangsik Joo
Administrative Office of Graduate Schools
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
107, Imun-ro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea, 02450
E-mail : email@example.com / Tel: 82-2-2173-2387 / Fax: 82-2-2173-3369
Note: All application documents should be presented in their original format, and submission by e-mail attachment is NOT allowed.
o Deadline of Submission : March 18th, 2016
* Candidates whose paperwork is not submitted on time will be excluded from the Selection Committee.
o Required documents : One original document (placed in a separate envelope).
* Documents not in English or Korean must be accompanied by a complete English or Korean translation authenticated by the issuing institution or notarized by a notary’s office.
* Selection for successful candidates will be done strictly by the NIIED Selection Committee.
Therefore, appropriate documents should be submitted by the deadline.
- Dual applications are not accepted. Applicants must apply for this program via only one institution.
- Documents should be presented in their original form.
- Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicants regardless of the selection results.
- Incomplete or incorrect documents may lead to application rejection or failure in the Selection Committee, and scholarship revocation even after entry into Korea.
- In case of submitting photocopied documents, applicants must submit the original to the 1st Selection Institution and have the original one and the photocopied one collated. The confirmation of collation should be indicated in the photocopied documents.
- Applicants who are expected to graduate from their respective home undergraduate/graduate institutions by August 31st, 2016, must submit the certificate (or letter) of expected graduation issued by said institutions when they apply; the official certificate of graduation must be received byNIIED by August 31st, 2016.
- Applicants must accurately complete the health checklist truthfully. All successful candidates must take a comprehensive medical exam when its’ orientation. In accordance with the requirements of the Korea Immigration Service and the KGSP Program, the candidates who are judged to be physically unfit for this program will not be accepted.
- Applicants may submit the copies of published papers, if available.
- Applicants may submit the copies of awards, if available.
* Applicants must submit all the documents by the checklist order. (Checklist for the application documents should be on the front page, followed by the required documents, stapled and attached.)
* Transferring to a different university after confirming the host university is not permitted in any cases. In regards to changing majors, it would be permitted only under the mutual agreement before starting the academic course(which means during the language education course) of the departments concerned only within the same university, with the scholarship period unchanged. (2 years of Master’s, or 3 years of doctoral, in total). However, quitting a program and applying for a new one is not permitted.
* All the documents you write should be in Korean or English.
* Required documents from #7 (which do not have an official form by NIIED) should be marked on the upper right side for each document.
* All the documents you write should be A4-sized.
13. Selection Schedule
o Application Deadline : March. 18th (HUFS)
o The 1st Selection : The end of March (by HUFS)
o The 2nd Selection : Mid to End-April (NIIED Selection Committee)
o Announcement for the Results of the 2nd Selection : May 3rd (posted on GKS websites)
o Admission Procedures for the Korean Embassies’ candidates: May 4th ~ June 3rd
o Announcement for Final Successful Candidates : June 21th(GKS websites-www.studyinkorea.go.kr)
o Visa Issue and Air ticket purchase : July 1st ~ July 29th
o Entry into Korea : August 22th ~ August 24th
o NIIED Orientation : August 29st ~ August 31st (1 day for each different region)
o Korean Language Course : September 1st
14. For further information, please contact :
o Contact & Mailing Information for HUFS
Mr. Jangsik Joo (Main Coordinator for KGS Program)
Administrative Office of Graduate Schools
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
107, Imun-ro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, Korea, 02450
Tel: 82-2-2173-2387 / Fax: 82-2-2173-3369
15. Application Form : Attached