The Summer School refers to the question whether democracy and market economy contribute to internal and external conflict prevention or resolution. Especially in the case of Ukraine and Moldova it is to be explored how ongoing conflicts can be ascribed to the political and economic need for reform. What repercussions do these conflicts have on the drive for democratic and market reform? During the Summer School we discuss how democratic and market-oriented reforms proceed, which strategies and concepts are relevant, which institutional barriers arise and what role the European Union and the Russian Federation play in forming the international arena of conflict. The focus of the discussion is on the state of affairs in Ukraine and Moldova. The mode of operation of the Summer School is based on talks and presentations by eminent German, Ukrainian and Moldovan scholars.
The key topics of the Summer School will be:
- Conceptual issues concerning democracy and market economy as mechanisms of conflict management« (Day 1)
- Democracy and market economy as mechanisms of conflict management in Ukraine and Moldova« (Day 2)
- Future perspectives on European integration and politico-economic reform in Ukraine and Moldova« (Day 3)
We are also pleased to announce that the Summer School is set to document its proceedings in an international publication.
- Promotion of academic and policy concerns with democracy and market economy as mechanisms of conflict resolution or conflict prevention
- Reflection of institutional mechanisms capable of preventing or resolving political, social and economic conflicts within and between countries
- Establishment of an international dialogue among present and future experts on issues of democratic and market-oriented reform.
Graduate students from Ukraine, Moldova, Armenia, Georgia, and Azerbaijan are welcome to join the Summer School.
Travel and accommodation expenses will be funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (maximal travel expenses per capita: 300,00€).
Those interested in participating are invited to apply via E-Mail until 31st of March 2015. We invite applications for participation in the Summer School of no more than two pages, including letter of motivation and a biographical sketch.
The selection of participants will be based on their originality, their scientific quality and their explicit reference to the Summer School topic: »Democracy and Market Economy as Mechanisms of Conflict Prevention in Ukraine and Moldova«. Participants will discuss this theme in the impressive location of the Grand Marine Hotel Odessa, Ukraine, within walking distance to the Black Sea.
When sending the application form, please rename the file it: SummerSchool2015_your_name
Please, title your e‐mail: Summer School Odesa Application
Submit your application by March 31, 2015 by Email to both: Odessasummerschool2015@yahoo.de and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: March 31, 2015
For more informations please visit the website.