Living @ HUFS

COST of LIVING As a guide, you will need between KRW 8,000,000 and KRW 10,000,000 per year (12 months) to pay for accommodation, food, transport, books, clothing, health services, entertainments, etc, but this can be vary according to individual circumstances. A room in a shared house/accommodation, not including food, can cost between KRW 350,000and KRW 450,000 per month and the rent deposit will be required most of cases. The amount of deposit varies from KRW 3,000,000 to KRW 10,000,000. Each meal at a restaurant around our campus can be had around KRW 4,000 - 5,000.

INSURANCE You or your parents are responsible for the cost of treatment should any medical emergencies arise. You should therefore purchase insurance before coming to Korea and verify that the insurance policy you carry covers hospitalization and medical care during international travel and sojourns, as well as repatriation to your home country in case of medical emergency. If you haven't purchased any insurance, you are required to buy our university's plan after arrival on campus, which costs you about USD 300 for one-year coverage.

TRANSPORTATION We advise you to get a public transportation card. The transportation card saves 100 Won on each ride and it can also be used to transfer between the subway and a bus. The basic fare is 1,150 Won, and if you make a transfer from the bus to the subway or vice versa within an hour, you don’t have to pay twice for the use of different modes of transportation. The fare adds up according to the distance covered. You will probably need a minimum of about 60,000 Won for transportation costs for your one-month stay. The nearest subway station from our campus is "Hankuk University Foreign Studies Station" on the Line No.1. It takes about 5 minutes on foot from our university's main gate. Click the link below to gain access to the Seoul subway guide. http://www.smrt.co.kr/program/cyberStation/main2.jsp?lang=e

TELEPHONE How to make calls from dormitories If you are staying on campus, you are allowed to make phone calls (university, long-distance & international) with no cost. To make a call to on-campus offices or dorm rooms from your room, you can just dial 4 digit extension. To make a call outside our university phone system, dial7 and remaining numbers. However, wireless mobile phone call is not available. From outside you need to dial 2173 for Seoul or 330 for Global (prefix used for our university) and extension number. If you are out of Seoul / Gyeongi-do or using your own mobile phone, you should add 02, the area code for Seoul, or 031, thearea code for Gyeongi-dobefore 2173. (02-2173-XXXX, 031-330-XXXX) If you want to make a free International call using the dorm phone, dial 7 + 00 + country code + city code and numbers you are calling. Please go to housing menu to get the full list of countries you can call for free. How to buy a cell phone in Korea If you want to use a cell phone in Korea, you should plan on spending at least 50,000 Won (about US$50) for that. Having a cell-phone is useful for safety reasons, but it is also extremely convenient when you want to coordinate with your roommates or friends. Here in Korea, nearly everyone over the age of 10 or 11 (sometimes younger) has a cell-phone to stay in constant communication with their family and friends and it has become part of the Korean lifestyle. You need an alien card and a bank account to have a cell phone. As foreigner, if you are planning to stay in Korea less than 1 year, pre-paid phone is the only choice mostly and it has to be charged before you use. Also the choice of cell phones is limited too. If you consider bringing your own mobile phone e.g. iPhone, Android or Blackberry, please check whether your telecommuncation provider locks the SIM in your phone to only recognize with in your country. If your country-locked phone can be unlocked in Korea, you can buy a SIM card to subscribe to a monthly post-paidplan on one of Korea's telecom providers, such as SK Telecom, KT Olleh and LG U+. There are many cell phone shops nearby HUFS campus andour International Student Organization arranges a phone-tripevery semester.

INTERNET ACCESS You do not have to bring your laptop because even though there is no computer in your room, there are many available on campus and of course, they are free and all are equipped with high-speed broadband service. As an exchange student or visiting student, you will get a HUFS ID card which will give you access to all the computer facilities on campus.

BANKING / EXCHANGE We recommend that you change the equivalent of at least U.S$100 at the airport (if you haven’t changed any yet) to cover such expenses as the airport bus fare, food, and your first few days in Korea. There is a bank on campus that handles foreign exchange but banks close at 4:00 p.m.and are not open on the weekends. If you have just brought credit cards, Don't worry. You can withdraw cash in Korean WON?directly from several "Global" ATM machines installed on campus, which accept international credit cards with VISA/Master Logo. You can open a Korean bank account by visiting the Woori Bank located on the first floor of HUFS Faculty building during the working hours (9:00 am - 4:00 pm). You need to bring your passport and the alien registration card. If you have won scholarships from our university or Korean government and receive scholarships, you are mandatorily required to open a Korean bank account and submit the copy of your bank book to the office of International Student Services

ELECTRICITY / VOLTAGE The standard voltage in Korea is 220 volts. The outlet has two round holes and is the same type used in France, Germany, Austria, Greece, Turkey, and many other countries. If you do not have a multi-voltage travel adapter, you buy it at a duty-free shop, convenience shop at Incheon International Airport.